2000 WW-II Heroes Guestbook

I hope you have enjoyed WW-II Heroes. Your input is welcome. Historical corrections and additions are encouraged.    Information from veterans, and descendents who served with those listed here or associated units are sure to be treasured.  If you would like to see specific details, photos,  or other information in future updates please let me know. 

"Searching for heroes?
Dad's platoon, your grandfather's shipmates, or uncles B-17 crew."

| Want to be included in WW-II Heroes |

Back to Homepage

Melvin Graham was also my father. Is it possible to get a picture of the unit he served in?
The 333rd. infantry was part of the 84th. infantry division.Does any one know how to go about obtaining a picture? Jeannie

Jeannie Priest <rcp@rectorarkansas.com>
Lafe, AR USA - Tuesday, December 26, 2000 at 13:09:49 (EST)

My Father Melvin Graham served with the 333rd. Co.G during WWll. I would like to talk to anyone who knew him.

Cathy Graham Willfond <catwil2002@yahoo.com>
Black Rock, Ar USA - Tuesday, December 19, 2000 at 21:00:37 (EST)

I spent part of Febuary till April 16, 1945 at Stalag XI-B. I was housed with the British.
I was with the 7th Arm. Division and captured at Krombach Belgium on the 23rd of December 1944.

I would like to say, "Thanks," to all the great wonderful British Soldiers that I was with at this camp and Stalag VIII-A. You saved my life more than once.

Thanks Fellows,
H W McCord

Howard W McCord <muttdpup@hiwaay.net>
Decatur, AL. USA - Wednesday, November 29, 2000 at 18:14:48 (EST)

I have two great uncles who were heroes in WWII. Vernon A. Martin, Tech 4 of the 808th MP CO. died in Camp Cabanatuan, in the Philpines on July 3, 1942. His brother, Stanley W. Martin, of the 91st Reconnaissance Squadron died in a hospital in Italy after being wounded at the Liberation Of Sicily, August 15, 1943.

Jude Ford <eford77@hotmail.com>
Moses Lake, Wa USA - Friday, November 24, 2000 at 17:51:08 (EST)

god bless the ww2 vet thanks!!!!!!!!!!1

bob paramo <bobparamo@aol.com>
chino, ca USA - Thursday, November 23, 2000 at 22:32:59 (EST)

Charlie Helbig, my father-in-law servied in the 333d infantry division, was captured the day before Thanksgiving, 1944 and spent the remainder of the war as a POW at Stalag IIA near Neu Brandenburg, Germany. He was liberated at Schwerin just ahead of the Russian advance into that area. He currently lives in St. Charles, MO and would like to hear from others who shared a similar experience from the 84th. Thanks for your website. Tom Walmsley

Tom Walmsley <walms@earthlink.net>
Springfield, mo USA - Thursday, November 23, 2000 at 15:30:23 (EST)

I am the nephew of Harold E. Spaulding who served as a Rail Splitter suring WWII and was captured by the Germans and held POW for some time..........

Jim Carrier <jim_carrier@hotmail.com>
Cos Cob, CT USA - Thursday, November 16, 2000 at 07:28:47 (EST)

My dad, Jack R. Perry, was with the 104th inf. division. He
was only 19 years old when critically wounded on Nov. 4, 1944.
He returned home on the Queen Mary and rehabilitated in
Atlantic City. He married my mom who had recently graduated
from nursing school in Rochester, N.Y. They moved to Calif.
raised six children and made a very successful life. My mom
died 23 years ago, and my dad just past away recently. I would
so enjoy e-mailing with anyone who might have known my dad
during the war. This web site is a wonderful tribute to all.

Cindy Perry Postel <clpostel@gte.net>
Westlake Village, CA USA - Monday, October 30, 2000 at 15:09:27 (EST)

I started searching for info on an Uncle last month. S/Sgt Roy Norman Ball. Within 24 hrs I heard from Egersund Norway people. One was a lady who is doing an article in the Egersund Paper to help us locate his remains if he was buried and not lost at sea. Yesterday I received and email telling me to contact 390 Museaum and with in 3 hrs I started getting answers from people. Things we never knew. He flew in the Schifless Skonk which went out on it's last mission November 16. His plane was shot down. We have heard mixed stories from years ago. Some thought he was lost at sea and other thought they saw five of his crew make it to land. If anyone knows anything about this group of men please let me know. Thru everyones kindness's yesterday and today, I have learned his crew members, the name of the plane ect. Other crew members were: B-17 SN 42-30455, 390th BG, 569th BS, nicknamed SCHIFLISS SKUNK was shot down
by a German fighter and crashed in the North Sea. All 10-crew members were
KIA. The loss of the crew was documented on Missing Air Crew Report MACR
1400. The names of the crew are as follows:

Pilot Lt, Raymond A. Becker NY
Co-Pilot Lt Robert W. Stuart MN
Navigator Lt Benjamin P. Myers MN
Bombardier Lt Anthony (NMI) Moyto OH
TopTurret Gunner/Eng S/Sgt Charles W. Loeser MI
Radio Operator Sgt Claude L. Farber OK
Ball Turret Gunner S/Sgt Leo W. Whittemore MI
Left Waist Gunner S/Sgt George L. Schneller KS
Right Waist Gunner S/Sgt Roy N. Ball KS
Tail Gunner S/Sgt Charles J. Reed MA
My address is 809 North Sycamore Ottawa Ks. 66067

Sherry (Ball) Wright <cola@ott.net>
Ottawa, KS USA - Saturday, October 28, 2000 at 15:15:20 (EDT)

My uncle, Stanley Filanowski was in Teterow. He died about 18 years ago. He once told me about the guard who would hand his rifle to the prisoners when he was climbing up on the railroad car. He also told me that there were Polish POWs who gave him some potatoes. If anyone has any specific memories about my uncle please e-mail me at tfilanowski@gi.com

Tony Filanowski <tfilanowski@gi.com>
New York, NY USA - Tuesday, October 03, 2000 at 13:57:18 (EDT)


JOHN F HILL <jjhill@mnp.net>
MCCONNELSVILLE, OH USA - Tuesday, September 26, 2000 at 14:09:44 (EDT)

My brother served many months in Europe during WWII. He was at the Elbe River at the end, when the Russians and American forces closed in on the German army, thus ending the war. There were thousands in the fields, as they were not allowed to cross the Elbe River, my brother was a Staff Sargent with 12 men guarding them all. He is a hero.
They are building a national monument for the WWII people who served. I contributed to:
World War II Memorial Fund
American Battle Monuments Commission
P. O. Box 96766
Washington, D.C. 20090-6766

Barbara F. Dyer <BDyer88921@aol.com>
Camden,, ME USA - Monday, September 04, 2000 at 10:26:15 (EDT)

My father, Lee Kent Paulsell, was a Railsplitter in WWII. He was from Rolla, Missouri. Thanks to all of you who served!

Mary Paulsell <paulsellm@missouri.edu>
Columbia, MO USA - Wednesday, August 30, 2000 at 09:48:43 (EDT)

I'll see you at the reunion!!!!!

Paul Laubacher
Oxnard, CA USA - Wednesday, August 23, 2000 at 00:25:55 (EDT)

I am the last immediate family member of 2nd St. James Clyde Slavens who died of head wounds on February 23, 1945 in Linnich, Germany at the time of the Roer River crossing. He was a member of the 84th Inf. Div. and also a member of the 309th Combat Engineers, Co. 'C'. I am trying to write the story he did not live to tell. If you knew him, please contact me. He was in the latter part of the Battle of the Bulge, and in Belgium just prior to his death in Germany. A big salute to all the 84th Inf. Div.!!!

Rosaleen Myers <RBKing@peoplepc.com>
Kingwood, TX USA - Sunday, August 06, 2000 at 13:40:51 (EDT)

Hi, Just wanted to let you know I've added both Henry and Warren as links in my genealogy page for the Gould Family in America at http://www.orbitworld.net/blgould/genealog.html

I would be honored to include your Gould family in a gedcom I maintain of Gould data at that site and if this is of interest to you please contact me via email at your earliest opportunity.

Thanks again for a terrific website!


--Brad Gould, NYC

Brad Gould <blgould>
New York, NY USA - Saturday, July 29, 2000 at 19:33:04 (EDT)

My granddad was a railsplitter I 335. He was killed in action
in Germany on April 23,1944.My grandmother just received his
flag and decorations June 2000.My family is very proud to
have him as our WWII hero. His name is Sgt. Willis Coleman

John David Moody <pmoody@alma-aps.wsc.k12.ar.us>
Mulberry, AR USA - Saturday, July 29, 2000 at 18:26:56 (EDT)

My father, Oliver L. McGhee, Also served in the 84th DIV. 327 fa-bn.

Ed McGhee <mcghee@aristotle.net>
North Little Rock , AR USA - Sunday, July 23, 2000 at 21:48:03 (EDT)

Thanks to all the heroes!

My father was Calvin Hartley White. He was an Army Air Corps pilot. He flew the heavy twin "tail dragger" used to carry troops and tow gliders. His nicknames were Mickey and Tarzan.

His plane was shot down on Christmas Eve at the Battle of the Bulge. As the captain, he bailed out last and was the only one of his crew to land in German held territory. He was captured the next day as he sought to exit the area. He was a German POW until the end of the war.

His tales of his aviation experiences and as a POW certainly affected my formative years--as well as the impact of a childhood which required special techniques to wake him up safely!

I am interested in any information regarding what unit he would have been with.

Donna M. White, M.D.

Donna M. White, M.D. <donnagal@nycap.rr.com>
Glenmont, NY USA - Sunday, July 23, 2000 at 19:09:58 (EDT)

My Uncle, Floyd Sykes, was only 19 years old when he was wounded on Saipan. He was with the 4th Marines. He was then, and still is now a hero. I love you Uncle Rol (his nickname)

karen battaglis <jokab3146@earthlink.net>
port charlotte, fl USA - Saturday, July 22, 2000 at 22:15:10 (EDT)

John Sr., my dad was in Co l 333rd 84th.
I would like to hear from any members of his company
thank you

john f kissinger <jfkiss@aol.com>
st. augustine, FL USA - Wednesday, July 19, 2000 at 20:00:34 (EDT)

I was/am a member of Co. L 333rd.

Don Watt <dw9378@aol.com>
Toledo, OH USA - Tuesday, July 18, 2000 at 18:57:55 (EDT)

I was with "G" Company, 335th Reg.

Bill Wood <bjwood@ameritech.net>
Indianapolis, IN USA - Monday, July 17, 2000 at 21:38:04 (EDT)

My grandfather, Robert Garth McClain, was on a hospital ship named, "WISTERIA".

Cindy Foster <Chic5864@aol.com>
Henrietta, TX USA - Friday, July 14, 2000 at 23:41:42 (EDT)

I'm no hero but I was there and here is the story of my last mission with the 44Bomb Group, 68
Bomb Sqd. It is June 20,1944 at an airfield named Shipdham in England just two week since
the invasion of Europe. It began for me when I was awakened by the bright light of the officer of the
days' flashlight shining in my face. He informed me that I was scheduled to fly on today's mission
and that breakfast and briefing will be at 02:00 hours. After breakfast the crew went to the
briefing room. There was a large map of Europe on the wall with a long ribbon hanging down, one
end pinned at our airport and the other end was a large pin. The briefing officer started by saying
that today's raid if successful, would surely shorten the war by months. "Your target, (at this point
he picked up the end of the ribbon and as his hand moved across the map, one could feel the tension
in the room increase) will be the oil refineries in Politz, Germany. This refinery produces 50 % of
the synthetic oil used in the German tanks. It would be a feather in our caps if we destroyed this
facility completely. Our intelligence informs us that there will be light flak and a small amount of
enemy aircraft in that area."
At 04:30 the green light is given and mission No. 5 for crew 55 is on the way. 30 seconds
after the lead aircraft has departed our pilot shoves the throttles forward and we start our roll down
the runway. Four powerful R1830 engines whine and moan as they reach 2700 RPM and 47 inches
of mercury, necessary to lift our
B 24 Liberator Bomber off the ground. Power is reduced to 2200 RPM as we climbed to 8000 feet
to form the group and continue our climb to 28000 feet to the target. En route weather was good
and we experienced light flak and few enemy aircraft. As we neared the target area, we were met
by a large group of twin engine planes. Our intelligence informed us that there would be little if
any fighters in this area so we thought that they had to be British Mosquito bombers on a raid
some where in this locale. It wasn't long before all hell broke out, these aircraft were ME110s.
The gunners were reporting "Bandits" from every clock position(twelve o'clock high, nine
o'clock level, six o'clock low, etc.) as they closed in on our group. The Bombardier now had control
of the plane as we started our bomb run. There was a large BANG as a shell hit the forward end of
the plane. Our plane seemed to hang in space as the group left us. The shell had knocked out the
supercharger electronic controls and with a full load of bombs and the bomb bay doors open our
airspeed dropped considerably. We were now alone and as we slowly descended, we really were a
sitting target. Another hit and I felt a piece of metal hit my right foot. I said in a loud voice "I've
been hit". The Captain wanted to know how bad my injury was. I was afraid to look down. I had
heard from other crew members that one could never really know how bad a wound could be right
after it happened. I tried moving my toes and that seemed to be O.K., next moving my ankle didn't
cause too much pain. I didn't feel that I was bleeding. It seemed I lucked out for now. I reported " I
think I'm only bruised." We continued the bomb run alone and the Bombardier released the bomb
load over the target. Unfortunately one of the bombs was still in the bomb bay. At about this time
our right Waist Gunner had a piece of flak go straight through his right thigh and was calling for
help. As Flight Engineer I had work to do. I got out of the top turret and the Radio Man took my
place. I put on the walk around oxygen bottle and went to the panel were the amplifiers were located
and tried to use the spare amplifier to set up the superchargers one at a time. No luck, the problem
was in the wiring. Next I headed for the open bomb bay were I manually tripped the bomb, I was glad
to see it go. I closed the bomb bay doors and headed to the injured gunner. He was on the deck
moaning and said "do something, PLEASE". He wasn't bleeding very much but was in great pain. I
got the morphine from his escape kit attached to his parachute harness and administered the shot.
He was going to be O.K. Now back to the top turret and just in time to be greeted by some ME 110
fighters who were waiting outside the flak area. The gunners filled the sky with 50 caliber bullets,
with every fifth bullet a tracer. Those tracers kept fighters at a distance since they illuminated the
sky. Although we were much lighter we still couldn't hold our altitude and we were using our
gasoline supply very fast. It was obvious we could not make it back to England. Our choices were,
ditch in the Baltic Sea, or land in occupied German Territory or head for a neutral country. We
were all relieved when we heard the Captain say" Navigator, give me a compass heading for
That day was a black day for the 8th Air Force. We later learned that the oil refinery at
Politz was very close to the testing site for the V2 rocket at Peenemünde and that was the reason it
was so heavily guarded. Forty seven bombers and seven fighters did not return to England. We
lived up to the 44th Group Motto "THE FLYING EIGHT BALLS."
After landing at Malmo's Military Airport we were greeted by a Swedish Officer who
proclaimed "the war is over for you gentlemen." So it was, the next two weeks were spent in
isolation at the airport's barracks where we were given physicals and some interrogations. The
wounded waist gunner was taken to the hospital. I didn't mention that I had a swollen foot for fear I
would be separated from my crew. Things became more pleasant when the American Delegation
became involved. We were treated very well. There were many restrictions and we did have to work
five days a week maintaining the American aircraft that were interned there (the number swelled
to over one hundred American plus a large number of British and also a few German planes.) We
were quizzed as to what schools we attended in the service and after a few weeks all crew members
without the technical skills were flown back to England in the dead of night in a converted B24 that
was stripped of all armament and painted black. This group was known as the" Flying Carpet
Baggers". They made routine clandestine flights throughout the war between England and
Sweden. I had attended the B24 factory at Yipsilanti, Mich. were the Ford Motor Company
manufactured this model aircraft. In war time, three weeks of schooling makes one a specialist. I
remained interned for thirteen months. After the war in Europe ended I made five ferry flights as
Co-Pilot to return our aircraft from Sweden to England. I joined the Ex Prisoners of War Depot in
London. I was reissued a complete set of uniforms and shortly after I was transferred to the U.S.A.
I was scheduled to be trained as a Flight Engineer on the B29 bomber. The war ended before I was
Harold Ferrara
New Jersey, 1996

Harold Ferrara <hmf1@worldnet.att.net>
Oak Ridge, NJ USA - Monday, July 03, 2000 at 07:58:52 (EDT)

Very good site. I served aboard the USS Forster (DE334). We haqv a reunion every year. Good luck

David Kozlovich <Divadgolf@aol.com>
Manchester, Ct USA - Saturday, June 10, 2000 at 17:12:29 (EDT)

Thanks for reminding me.

Beth <bgould@gsd.harvard.edu>
Cambridge, MA USA - Thursday, May 25, 2000 at 14:26:18 (EDT)

My Dad, Aime P. Valin, originally from Woonsocket, born 1921, served in the Navy during WWII. He served on a ship called the USS Storm King. He served after the Pearl Harbor Attack. He is now 79 yrs. old and living in Kannapolis, NC. He would like to hear from anyone who may have served with him.

Diane <miditri@prodigy.net>
Kannapolis, NC USA - Saturday, April 22, 2000 at 17:28:57 (EDT)

So many stories are going to the grave without being told. Many members of my family are war heroes. My Uncle Joe was a tank driver in Patton's 3rd Army and wounded twice. Uncle Johnny was severely wounded while fighting with the 4th Marines on Saipan. My Uncle, Pfc. Paul Ribera, paid the ultimate price. He was killed in action on December 6, 1944 in Beeck, Germany while with the Army 84th Division, 334th Infantry, 'B' Company. I have his purple heart, some patches, and very little else. I want to visit the area where he was killed, but I can't seem to locate it on the map. Any input would be helpful.

S.W. Hennessey <swhennessey@snet.net>
Woodstock, CT USA - Wednesday, April 19, 2000 at 07:39:50 (EDT)

I work in the Natl. Headquarters office of the Railsplitters so am always looking for material and people.My husband was a member of the 84th Inf Div. We still find new members every day although they are all past 70 and into their 90s.

Lila Day <liladay@aol.fom>
Sioux Falls , SD USA - Monday, April 17, 2000 at 19:56:25 (EDT)

I served on the USS Snyder DE-745, and the USS Edward H. Allen DE-531. I am a DESA Lifetime Member.

Eddie Montes <Watachee@hotmail.com>
Los Angeles, CA USA - Tuesday, April 04, 2000 at 20:24:02 (EDT)

Excellent and informative! A fine tribute to the men who served and died for our country!

Kirby Deer <kdeer@billsdollar.com>
Pearl, Ms USA - Friday, March 10, 2000 at 13:05:32 (EST)

The heroes website is a great honor to veterans from a younger generation who appreciates their sacrifice even though they did not ever live in these times.

Andree J. Fanning <afanning@juno.com>
Woonsocket, RI USA - Thursday, March 02, 2000 at 21:02:22 (EST)

Great work! The WWII vets are passing and it is critical to remember their contribution - especially in this current unPatriotic climate.
My Dad fought at and survived Anzio Beach in the 45th Division (Army) - that was the one with the Navajo "codetalkers".
Thank you!

Steve Johnson <johnsons@ici.net>
L. Compton, RI USA - Monday, February 28, 2000 at 10:31:55 (EST)

My Grandfather, Frank Haydu was a railsplitter. I thank you for this site as it provides great imformation about the division....I wish I could learn more!

Andy Haydu <hay1942s@uel.ac.uk>
Boston, Ma USA - Tuesday, February 22, 2000 at 07:00:45 (EST)

my father served w/the 333rd in company 'c'. his name was
nasson surmani (sgt).last night i watched the history chanel
regarding the wwii memorial to be built..it started me looking at my dads old books etc. i was just looking on the net to see if i could find anything.you were my first find. i will keep looking.we cannot forget these wonderful men and

madeline (surmani) vannoy <madeline.vannoy@wspan.com>
visalia, ca USA - Wednesday, February 16, 2000 at 12:31:52 (EST)

My Great Uncle, Sgt. Buck Roberts, Texarkana, Texas served with the "Railsplitters" durinthe Battle of the Bulge in Dec. 1944. He passed away in 1999, but always carried the stories of the 84th. Mostly funny...although I could always sense a fear and sickness just beneath the surfACE.

Allen M. Cameron, III <casacam@flash.net>
Sugar Land, TX USA - Friday, February 04, 2000 at 21:51:20 (EST)


Made copies of ww-11 heroes for my file

Samuel J. Dalfonzo <sdalfonzo@webtv.net>
Baltimore , Md. USA - Thursday, September 30, 1999 at 08:50:02 (EDT)

He was my grandfather. i miss him very much.

Catie Gould <dgg@midmaine.com>
Winterport, Maine USA - Saturday, November 06, 1999 at 14:54:55 (EST)


As a former veteran and decendant of a railsplitter, I must say what a wonderful site you have created. My grandfather was a member of the railsplitters during the battle of the bulge and was injured in the Ardenne. My grandmother has passed all of his uniforms and medals down to me as I am the sole survivor of the Woodward clan. I try to keep the memories of the stories he told me fresh in my mind. Your great website has cemented my commitment to put his story on the web too. Bravo Zulu!
-Kevin "Woody" Woodward

Kevin B Woodward <kwoodwa@columbus.rr.com>
Columbus, Oh USA - Sunday, December 19, 1999 at 20:38:51 (EST)


Thanks for all you guys have done for our Nation!

william alspach <alspach@erols.com>
Pine Hill, NJ USA - Saturday, December 25, 1999 at 13:07:36 (EST)